Our law practice is focused exclusively on the representation of children and their families in matters of special education law. Our services vary per client and range from a single meeting to on-going representation of your family and advocating for your child’s educational rights. We are experienced in negotiating successful outcomes and in many cases are able to avoid contentious mediations and litigation. We can make a difference in your child’s education.
If your child has any of the following disabilities, your child’s right to a free and appropriate public education is guaranteed by law:
- Hearing Impairment
- Hearing and Visual Impairment
- Language or Speech Disorder
- Visual Impairment
- Severe Orthopedic Impairment
- Other Health Impairments- such as ADHD, Traumatic Brain Injury, or other various health related issues
- Autistic-Like Behaviors
- Mental Retardation
- Serious Emotional Disturbance
- Specific Learning Disability
We provide the following services:
- Initial Referrals for Eligibility Determinations - Our clients have been made eligible for special education services and regional center services despite prior determinations denying eligibility.
- Referrals for independent evaluations and services – We have secured funding and reimbursement for a variety of independent education evaluations requested by parents.
- Advocacy at IEP meetings
- Advocacy with Regional Centers
- Behavioral Services and Plans – We have secured funding and reimbursement for researched based ABA services.
- Mainstreaming/ Inclusion – We have secured placement for students in the Least Restrictive Environment, ranging from full inclusion in regular education classes to a 1:1 ABA program at home.
- Academic Remediation and Compensatory Education – We have secured comprehensive remedial services for reading, writing, and mathematics. We have also secured funding for compensatory services for students who were denied a free appropriate public education.
- Advocacy at Expulsion Hearings and Manifestation Determinations
- Compliance Complaints when the District fails to provide services
- Mediations – We are experienced in negotiating successful outcomes and have obtained favorable results for parents in mediations.
- Due Process Hearings – We have obtained favorable decisions and orders before the California Office of Administrative Hearings.
- Appeals in Federal Court – We have special expertise in federal court litigation. We have obtained favorable decisions and orders before federal district courts and courts of appeal.
The special education law allows prevailing parents to be reimbursed for attorneys fees. In many cases, we have secured reimbursement for all or a portion of the legal fees. We do not turn away families in need because of money; for those parents who have financial constraints, a payment plan is available on a case-by-case basis.